It's Happening Here...
"It can't be happening in the Ohio Valley! How could someone do something like that?"
It's happening, and it's happening to people you know. Help us change the narrative. Prevention is possible.
Sexual violence can happen to anyone. It does not discriminate on age, socioeconomic status, gender, or any other identifying factor. If you, or someone you know, has been effected by sexual violence, we are here to help you.
SAHC's 2021 Response
- SAHC served over 200 people in 2021.
- We responded to over 50 hotline calls, including over 20 hospital accompaniments.
- SAHC's advocates provided over 1400 hours of services in 2021.
West Virginia Statistics
- 1 in 6 adult women and 1 in 21 adult men will be a victim of sexual violence in their lifetime.
- Over 60% of all reported sexual assaults are juveniles.
- Over 80% of all sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows.
- 70% of sexual offenses occur in the victims home.
- Personal weapons, such as the offender's hands or fists, are used during sexual offenses, more than other weapons.
- The most frequently reported age is 15.
- The majority of offenders are males (93%) and adult (71%)
- Every 68 seconds, someone is sexually assaulted in the United States.
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be victims of sexual violence in their lifetime.
- Teens ages 16-19 are more likely to become victims of sexual violence then any other age.
- It is estimated that less then 40% of all sexual offenses are reported to law enforcement.